Wednesday, November 11, 2009

october (lovevolution, halloween, and everything in between)

Warning: This post is LOOOOONNNNG!

I kept meaning to write individual posts on the various things I did last month, but I was either too busy working, sleeping, or doing said things that I never had a chance to really sit down and write/post pics about any of it. I decided to just lump them all into one post (which actually took me about a week to write)... Here goes!

10/3 - San Francisco LovEvolution

2009 10 03 - sf lovevolution poster3

So October started off with a bang... It was SF Love time again. The event known as the "San Francisco LoveFest" and "Love Parade San Francisco" changed its name to San Francisco LovEvolution this year, as the folks at Go Ventures apparently had the rights to the name "Love Festival" and were going to take legal action with the SF Love organizers if they continued to use the name "LoveFest."

But yeah, this year the event was the biggest it's ever been; not particularly with the DJ lineup (which I don't believe was as large as it's been in previous years), but the amount of people who showed up! I got there fairly early, but it was PACKED! Seriously... It was the most crowded SF Love event I'd ever been to, and it started actually making the event a little less fun. My guess is that this was really the first year that it's happened while word-of-mouth social networking (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Xanga, etc) was as at its biggest. I wonder if the promoters are going to use the same location next year, because this year turned out to be a bit much...

200910031415 Stuck in traffic cos of some stupid event called LovEvolution! ;P

DSCF2439 DSCF2440

DSCF2442 DSCF2444

DSCF2445 DSCF2446

DSCF2448 DSCF2449

DSCF2450 DSCF2453

IMGP6201 IMGP6202

IMGP6203 IMGP6206

IMGP6209 IMGP6210

DSCF2457 DSCF2459

DSCF2461 DSCF2462

DSCF2464 DSCF2466

DSCF2468 DSCF2472

DSCF2484 DSCF2485

DSCF2490 DSCF2491

DSCF2495 DSCF2497

DSCF2493 DSCF2500

DSCF2499 DSCF2501

After the parade itself, I went to Opel's afterparty ("Infuse: Love Evolves") over at Kelly's Mission Rock to watch Will Bailey, Zodiac Cartel (a.k.a. Elite Force), and Lee Coombs, among many others. I wanted to go to the Skills Official Afterparty, but I just wasn't ready to part with over 80 dollars just to rock out for a few hours...

2009 10 03 infuse - love evolves flyer front 2009 10 03 infuse - love evolves flyer back

DSCF2510 DSCF2514

DSCF2517 DSCF2519

DSCF2522 DSCF2523

DSCF2525 DSCF2526

DSCF2529 DSCF2531

DSCF2532 DSCF2537

DSCF2533 DSCF2539

In hindsight, I kinda wish I did go to the Skills Official Afterparty. At Infuse, I was so exhausted from running around all day that all I wanted to do was sit down, listen to the music, and stare at lasers (yes, I was sober), but there was hardly any decor at the venue, and there definitely wasn't anywhere clean to sit down and relax. The Skills Afterparty was at the Bill Graham Civic Center, which is filled with bleachers. I remember chilling up in the bleachers for quite some time last year... So yeah, after the event was over, I met up with Kimathi and his friends (who split off to go to the Skills party) and we all grabbed a bite to eat at IHOP then crashed at the Travelodge next door.

DSCF2540 DSCF2541

DSCF2544 DSCF2545

View the rest of the photos here!

10/08 - I bought the Palm Prē!

Back in September, I finally came to the conclusion that I would be getting an iPhone... That was, until Sprint suddenly announced the Any Mobile, Anytime plan, which has unlimited data, messaging, GPS navigation, and mobile-to-mobile (with any carrier) for $70 a month. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't find a plan cheaper than that on any other carrier without having to sacrifice one feature or another. It didn't help any that I finally got to play with a Palm Prē for a minute when I hung out with my buddy Megu and her friend Christine (who had a Prē). So yeah... I finally broke down and bought one on the 8th.

200910081427

I didn't want to buy it from a Sprint store, as I would've had to pay $200 and wait for a $50 mail-in rebate... I decided to go to Radio Shack The Shack and buy it there (where the price was $150 out the door). Unfortunately, buying it at a retailer that doesn't have its own dedicated cell phone staff means that they might not know how to properly activate a phone. After standing around for about an hour or so, I had to take the phone home and activate it myself. It sucked, but the in-home process wasn't so bad.


DSCF2581

Ooh, pretty!


DSCF2578

It came with this nifty little felt pocket! I never really use it, though...


DSCF2583

There it is next to my old Helio Ocean! I kinda feel that the Pre is the spiritual successor to the Ocean, what with Matias Duarte being the design chief at Helio (r.i.p.) and now the (inhales) Vice President of Human Interface and User Experience (exhales) at Palm.


DSCF2575

That was a cool little easter egg in the product packaging!

Overall, I'm satisfied with the device. It was able to sync my Facebook contacts, Gmail address book, and AIM buddy list without a problem (though I did have to sit there and manually merge all of my duplicated contacts, though that was to be expected). I like the way the phone combines AIM conversations with the SMS text messaging threads, and the email client was SUPER easy to set up. Tweed, the more popular Twitter client on the phone, and the phone's Pandora app kick ass as well.

Like any phone, it's not perfect, though... The camera is fixed focus, so I can't take any macro shots like I could with my Nokia N82 (I <3 me some macro shots, haha).

The Google Maps app on webOS (the Pre's operating system) isn't as deep as it is on most other phone, either. On the Ocean and the N82, I would be able to save favorite locations, and even plot directions from one favorite saved location to another. I haven't figured out a way to save any locations in the webOS version of Gmaps... The closest I could do to that is to save an address in a friend's contact info. When you click on someone's address in their contact list entry, Google maps automatically opens and shows you the location. That feature is pretty nifty, but in future versions of the app, I hope that the developers let users save locations, if not in the app itself, at least back into the phone's contact list. Either that, or I hope that Google goes all out and releases the turn-by-turn Google Maps Navigation app for webOS.

I also kinda miss having a directional pad or joystick on the phone. It doesn't sound like it would be necessary on a touchscreen phone, but it really comes in handy when moving the cursor around when typing, especially if you don't want to accidentally hit the "send message" icon before you finish a text or IM.

Wow, I didn't realize that I was going to nerd out this much over my phone!

10/11 - San Juan Bautista Photowalk

This was the second Monterey photowalk I've gone on (the first was in downtown Monterey back in August), but this was the third one that was officially organized by my friend, Joe Doudna. Most of the photos I've been taking these days have been more just to archive my life, so it's nice going on these photowalks; I haven't really been taking photos for art's sake much lately, so these have definitely been giving me the opportunity to put a little more thought into my shots.

This was the first time I'd ever been to San Juan Bautista. It felt like someone had plucked a city from an entirely different period of time and plopped it down into central California!

IMGP6218

IMGP6227

IMGP6244

IMGP6247

IMGP6257

DSCF2554

DSCF2555

IMGP6269

IMGP6271

IMGP6289

DSCF2563

IMGP6308

View the rest of the photos here!

10/23 - Got the Sennheiser PX 100-IIs!

DSCF2593

I think I'll write up a separate blog post about this...

10/29 - Lisa's bday @ Cibo & checking out Scandals Halloween Bash @ Doc's in downtown Monterey

I was invited to a friend-of-a-friend's birthday dinner at a restaurant in downtown Monterey called Cibo. I've worked across the street from the place for years, but this was my first time eating there! It wasn't bad!

DSCF2677 DSCF2678

DSCF2679 DSCF2681

DSCF2671 DSCF2672

DSCF2673 DSCF2674

DSCF2682 DSCF2684


We then went over to Doc's, where the Scandals folks were throwing their Halloween bash. There were local bands (Mapless, Candy Flip, and one more that I didn't get to catch) and a few electro DJs playing all night...

DSCF2686 DSCF2690

DSCF2692 DSCF2693

10/30 - Twisted Land of Oz

2009 10.30 - twisted land of oz

My buddy Trevor (who DJs as Omega) invited me and a few other local electronic DJs to spin at this Wizard of Oz/Halloween themed house party/rave on the 30th.


CIMG0081

Can you tell who I was for Halloween (again, lol)?
Half the people there were giving me hi-fives, while the other half jokingly yelled at me because of their healthcare concerns. Haha.


DSCF2695 DSCF2697

DSCF2698 DSCF2700

DSCF2703 DSCF2704

DSCF2706 DSCF2707

DSCF2708 DSCF2710

DSCF2712 DSCF2713

DSCF2714 DSCF2718

DSCF2720 DSCF2721

DSCF2723 DSCF2724

DSCF2726 DSCF2727

DSCF2729 DSCF2730

The party was shut down due to noise complaints about 30 minutes into my set, but I had a lot of fun spinning (though admittedly I did completely trainwreck when I tried to mix my intro track into the end of Durty's last track! Whoops)! Poor Joe didn't get to spin, though...

Phew! Wow, you actually made it this far down? Good job!

No comments: